All organisations and individuals have a duty of care to safeguard children when they are participating in their activities.
PADS is committed to a club environment in which all children and young people participating in its activities have a safe and positive experience.
In order to achieve this the club agrees to:
1. Adopt and implement the ASA Wavepower 2012/15 policy in full.
2. Recognise that all children participating in the club (regardless of age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ability or disability) have a right to enjoy their involvement in swimming in a safe environment and be protected from harm.
3. Ensure that those individuals, who work with children in the club, whether paid or voluntary, provide a positive, safe and enjoyable experience for children.
4. Appoint a Club Welfare Officer with the necessary skills and training as outlined by the ASA who will take the lead in dealing with all child safeguarding matters raised within the club.
5. Ensure that the Club Welfare Officers name and contact details are known to all staff, club members and parents of members.
6. The Welfare Officer to be available to discuss issues of concern on matters of safeguarding and deal with such concerns appropriately and in line with Wavepower 2012/15.
7. Ensure all those persons who work with children in the club have undertaken the appropriate training and relevant CRB checks and adhere to the required practices for safeguarding children as outlined in Wavepower 2012/15.
8. Ensure that all individuals who will be working or will work with children in the club have been recruited in accordance with the ASA Safe Recruitment Policy.
9. Ensure that all individuals who work with children in the club have the appropriate training and codes of conduct and good practice to follow in line with the guidance in Wavepower 2012/15.
10. Provide all club members and parents of members with the opportunity to raise concerns in a safe and confidential manner if they have a concern about a child’s welfare.
11. Ensure that all child safeguarding matters, whether they be concerns about child welfare or protection, are dealt with appropriately in accordance with the guidance for reporting and action in Wavepower 2012/15.
12. Ensure that confidentiality is maintained appropriately and in line with the best interests of the child.
13. Ensure all papers relating to child safeguarding matters are held in a safe and secure manner.
PADS Welfare officer is Alan Tottle and can be contacted at [email protected]
The ASA Independent Child Protection Officer (ICPO) can be contacted via the ASA's Swimline number 0808 100 4001
A full copy of the ASA Wavepower document can be found at http://www.swimming.org/asa/clubs-and-members/safeguarding-children/